Pretty bold statement to make, huh?? Yet this is how most people, Nigerians especially, think when it comes to making money online in Nigeria. Maybe due to their own bad experiences, or that of people close to them, they have incorrectly concluded that anything involving making money online is a scam.
This and several other myths surround the subject of making money online and has been the topic of major controversy over time. Well, I’ve finally decided to shed light on the topic based on my experience as an internet marketer in Nigeria.
In this post, I’ll be exploring the top 5 myths I’ve noticed are most common when people talk about making money online. The points I’ll be exploring are mostly from my own personal interactions with people, so sit tight and enjoy.
5 Ugly Myths Nigerians Have Concerning Making Money Online in Nigeria
- You Cannot Make Money OnlineIt seems almost impossible, yet this is a widely held belief when it comes to making money on the internet. I’ve had people ask me, “Are you even making money on that internet??” more times than I can count. The reality is that most people are so entrenched in what they deem as “normal ways of making money i.e getting a job”, that they can’t seem to believe that people can just sit down with a computer and earn what they earn in a year in one week. And they think, “if it sounds too good to be true, then it’s too good to be true”. They believe that those who say they’re making money online are liars, and they aren’t really making money online.Truth is people are making money online, now more than any other time before.
I’ve seen it done many times before. I’ve helped a lot of people do it. Thousands of people are living the independent internet lifestyle. The fact that you don’t believe it is your own loss, and while you’re here battling with self-denial, a lot of people are making a living online.
The internet has extended the way we communicate in a way that we could never even imagine, and this has opened up lots of opportunities and industries online for anyone who is serious about making money independently.
Will it be easy?? Absolutely not. But can you make money online?? Definitely. If you’re ready to give it what it takes.
- They’re all scammersThis is probably the most widely held belief in Nigeria when it comes to making money online.
“In Nigeria, when you want to make money, you sell things, or you go to the farm, or you get a job. That’s the stereotype. You cannot sit down with a computer and tell me you’re doing legit business online, please show me the business.” That’s what your mom will tell you if you tell her you own an e-commerce store online. This natural belief has led people to conclude that if you’re making money online, then you must be doing something shady.
The situation is not helped by the scourge of yahoo boys scamming people on the internet. So, if you’re making money on the internet, you must be a yahoo boy. Alas! We are Internet Marketers, not Yahoo boys.
It’s a frustrating situation on all sides, and I’m here to debunk the myth once and for all. Only a fraction of the people who make money online are scammers. In fact, there are more legitimate internet marketers making money online than there are yahoo boys. It may sound hard to believe, but take it from someone who’s been inside the internet world, its true.
- You can get rich quick onlineThere’s a reason why there are only a handful of billionaires in the world (compared to the population), it’s hard to make money. In fact, after heaven, money is the most difficult thing to make. But when people come to the internet space seeking to make money, they seem to throw common sense out of the window and start thinking it’s easy to make money online and become online millionaires, all in six months. I get all kinds of messages from people telling me they’ve been blogging for two or three months and they haven’t made a dime. Usually, I’m blown out of the water by how easy people think it is to make money online. If it was that easy, everyone would be billionaires already.Like everything else that’s worthwhile, it takes time, energy and lots of dedication to make money online. In fact, it can be harder to make money online than it is in a conventional way. But if you remain focused and keep learning always, make money you will.
Of course, there’s the rare case of people who suddenly explode onto the scene and make a lot of money in a little time. Usually, these people have exploited a loophole somewhere or have invested a lot of money to make a lot of profit a short time. These people are the exception and not the norm.
So while it’s possible to make money online, you’re gonna have to hustle. Don’t come here thinking you can get rich quick, it’s not a ponzi scheme.
- Only techies or computer geeks make money onlineThis is another widely held belief when it comes to making money online. People think only programmers, web designers and people like them make money online.This couldn’t be farther from the truth. While these people have an advantage in being able to understand how computers and the internet work very well, I can tell you that anyone with basic computer skills, who is ready to learn and work hard can make money online.
The internet is a constantly changing landscape and as long as you’re ready to learn new things and work hard putting them into action, then you can make money online. You don’t necessarily have to be a techie or a programmer to make money online.
- You can make money online without any skillsThis one is particularly annoying because it’s the highest number of inquiries I get. People who want to make money online but have nothing to offer. It’s the equivalent of applying for a job, without any qualifications.If you want to make money online you need to have something to offer, skills that people are willing to pay for. Whether as a marketer, a writer, a graphics designer, or anything else, you just need to have something to offer if you really want to make money online.
If you have no marketable skills, go learn one today.
There you have it, my picks of the five most common myths when it comes to making money online in Nigeria. If there are any others you’ve noticed, please do not hesitate to tell us about them in the comments section. Remember to like and share this with friends